Policies

Late Homework Policy:

If you have travel or other responsibilities that will make it impossible for you to get a particular assignment in on time, please see me IN ADVANCE, and we can make adjustments.

DO NOT ASK ME to take the midterm or the final early or late. Please schedule your travel around the exams, not vice versa.

Incompletes:

The college rules state that an incomplete grade may be available if the student would otherwise earn a satisfactory grade but is unable to do so because of extenuating and unforeseen circumstances. The student must have already completed a substantial portion of the course, with passing grades. An incomplete grade may not be used as a mechanism to avoid receiving an undesirable grade, nor may it be awarded to a student on academic warning or probationary status. If you have travel or work conflicts, or medical or other problems that may potentially cause you difficulty in completing your work on time, please come see me as soon as possible. In general, I will be as accomodating as possible if you acquaint me with your problems in advance.

Cheating:

The University's Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy contains a detailed discussion of what constitutes cheating. You should read this document; a copy will be distributed in class. See also the University Code of Conduct.

However, it is likely that many of you will learn as much from each other as you will from me. So you are encouraged to discuss the lecture material, machine problems, and systems problems with each other. However, I expect that all work that you hand in, either for machine problems or for exams, will be your own (or of your group, for group work). I reserve the right to call you in to ask you questions about your solutions. I am told that there are copies of old exams floating around. You may not bring such materials into the examination room.

Security:

Guard your work: make sure that your solutions are protected 600. Leaving them group- or world- readable means that anyone can steal them. Your home directory includes, by default, a directory called classes that is readable only by you. Put all your class work here!!. If you put class material in some unprotected directory, and somebody else copies it, you will be held responsible!! (And we will be checking this!)

Mitchell Wand
College of Computer and Information Science, Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue #202WVH,
Boston, MA 02115
Internet: wand@ccs.neu.edu
Phone: (617) 373-2072 / Fax: (617) 373-5121

Last modified: Fri Dec 14 16:38:11 Eastern Standard Time 2007