We will rely upon several forms of communication:
- You will attend class.
This channel is bidirectional but not symmetric:
Class discussions will be moderated or led by the instructor,
and there are many more of you than there are of the instructor.
- You will read the chapters and sections you are assigned to read
from the textbook.
- You will use
for most of your online communication with the instructor
and for some of your online communication with other students.
This channel is multidirectional and almost symmetric.
Except as noted below, please don't send email to the instructor
unless absolutely necessary.
Piazza allows you to send private messages to the instructor.
- You will use a script running on the CCIS Linux machines
to submit a couple of your homework assignments.
- You will receive emails from the instructor or TA that inform you
of your grade and performance on selected assignments.
If you have questions about your grade or performance,
it is appropriate to respond to those emails via email.
Please follow the
- All of us will make mistakes.
We will try to correct each others' mistakes.
- Feel free to respond to other students' posts on Piazza.
In many cases, another student will answer your question
before the instructor can.
- You won't hurt your grade by making a mistake in something you say
to another student on Piazza.
If you make a mistake, someone is likely to correct it without
any harm being done.
- The instructor won't correct all mistakes and misconceptions
they see on Piazza, but may instead revise the homework
assignments and classroom agenda to clarify things some students
appear to be getting wrong.
- The instructor will assume you are following the Piazza
discussions. Exams and homework may include questions that
might be difficult or impossible to answer if you haven't been
reading the Piazza discussion board.
- Before you post a question, read what has been posted previously.
- When you start a new thread, use a descriptive subject line.
submission script not working" is more descriptive than
THIS IS FREAKING INSANE!!!!"
- When you start a new thread, Piazza asks you to select a folder
such as "hw1", "hw2", or "exam".
Selecting the relevant folder will make your thread more useful
Last updated 10 September 2015.
Click here to validate HTML on this page.